Just like other parts of your home, electrical systems wear out over time. An aging electrical system is a hazard not only to your home, but to the safety of you and your family. You shouldn’t let an electrical fire be your wake-up call that it’s time to rewire your home. There are many signs an electrical system gives off when it’s worn out or damaged, and you should be paying attention to these signs.
So how can you tell if your home needs rewiring?
- Contact an electrician. Our electricians can diagnose your electrical system’s health and let you know if it’s time to rewire your home.
- Watch for the following warning signs:
If any of the following is true about your electrical system, it’s time to get your home rewired!
- Your home has frequently blown fuses or tripped breakers – This may be a sign your electrical system is worn out or can’t handle the amount of electricity you need in your home.
- Your home’s lights frequently dim or flicker – This is a sign of faulty wiring and frequently seen more often in older homes.
- You hear buzzing or sizzling sounds in your wiring or outlets – If you hear any sounds coming from your outlets, you should call an electrician immediately.
- Your home’s outlets are loose – If plugs wiggle and fall out of electrical outlets, you need to get new outlets.
- You’ve made a major renovation or added additional large appliances – Additional large appliances like microwaves or washer/dryers use so much electricity they might need their own dedicated circuitry.
- Your home is more than 40 years old – If you have an older home, the existing electrical system may be wearing out, made of aluminum wires instead of copper, and straining to meet your home’s demand. Houses built in the 1960s, 70s, and even 80s may not be able to handle the amount of power you need for modern devices.
- Your home has ungrounded, two-pronged outlets – All of your outlets should be grounded to reduce the threat of electrocution.
- Your home has aluminum instead of copper wiring – According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, failing aluminum wire connections can cause overheating that can start a fire. You can tell if you have aluminum wiring if “AL” is written on the jacket.
- You’ve experienced an electrical shock when plugging in or unplugging an appliance – Even the smallest tingle may be a warning sign, so don’t dismiss it!
- Your outlets give off a burning smell – Burned or overheated wires often give off a noticeable burning odor.
Rewiring a home requires understanding and expertise for a smooth and safe installation. Call our team now for a free in–home assessment. Our licensed residential electrical professional will guide you through the process and discuss your electrical needs, and answer any questions or concerns you may have. Contact us at (608) 222-0105 or learn more about our other residential services at www.westphalec.com.