At Westphal & Co., Inc., a Project Manager oversees the entire electrical construction project from the initial bid to final completion, all while working to increase efficiency and profitability as the project progresses. A Project Manager serves as the professional liaison between our company and the client, and is the primary support person for our field forces (Electricians and Low Voltage Technicians). Accomplishing these tasks is achieved by having a well-balanced amount of time spent in both the professional office setting and on the project site.
Westphal & Company estimates projects of all types and the ideal candidate would possess the ability to estimate the following types of delivery methods:
- Plans and Specification
- Design Build
- Conceptual Estimating
- Perform quantity takeoffs as required. Request, receive, and evaluate major equipment and subcontractor quotes as required. Review quantities and totals for pricing.
- Seek cost effective methods of construction used by field staff and project managers for inclusion in future estimates.
- Secure most favorable material and other cost quotations.
- Become proficient with the company’s estimating software. Check calculations and compile them to point of proposal. Use company proprietary labor and material database when preparing estimates
- Assist in RFP proposal responses.
Business development is a key component to the complete project manager at Westphal & Company. Candidates should possess the ability or desire to perform the following:
- Develop targeted customers by fostering a relationship that results in getting project opportunities.
- Participate in activities that fall in line with the company’s business development plan.
- Establish and promote contacts with potential and/or past clients to obtain work. Pursue new markets for the company’s services and coordinate efforts with the Project Executive.
- Engage in social, civic, and trade activities that will enhance the prestige and goodwill of the company.
Managing projects at Westphal & Company requires a project manager to follow our detailed system of processes which includes the following duties:
- Oversee the pre-construction process.
- Understand the project’s contractual requirements.
- Maximize project profitability
- Negotiate major material/equipment purchases.
- Work with the project foreman to lay out, plan, schedule, and engineer the work to create the highest value for the company
- Handle all correspondence relating to the construction project.
- Assist in managing the project’s labor force and personnel
- Monitor project productivity and profitability, take corrective steps as needed.
- Attend scheduled meetings relating to the project.
- Be familiar with the project’s manpower, equipment, and tool requirements.
- Advise and perform monthly billings.
- Perform monthly job cost projections to ensure an accurate WIP.
- Interpret architectural, structural, and civil drawings to assist in the design process
- Identify problem areas that will affect design of new systems.
- Perform site assessments
- Create / understand single line drawings for Solar Installations
- Create layouts utilizing Helioscope
- Create construction documents with assistance from Electrical Engineer
- Understanding of Utility Rates
- Coordinate with utilities and other permitting agencies
- Understanding of interconnection process
- Create Financial model of project
- Familiarity with Energy Toolbase and/or NREL System Advisor Model (SAM)
- Understanding of Solar rebates and incentives
- Knowledge of Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS)
- Knowledge of Vehicle Charging stations
- Strong knowledge of Solar Equipment (Modules, Inverters, Racking)
- Strong knowledge of NEC and specific Articles related to solar installations.
- Experience with commissioning and programming of equipment.
- Excellent written skills and telephone etiquette
- The ability to analyze problems and solve them
- The ability to make independent decisions
- The ability to communicate well with, have the respect of, and develop positive relationships with:
- Architectural and Engineering firms
- General Contractor personnel
- Other teammates
- Ability to perform sales/marketing efforts on behalf of the company
- Ambition to attain personal and professional achievements
- Honesty, integrity, overall standard of ethics
- A positive attitude, work ethic, and ability to work as part of a team
- The ability to listen
- Intelligence, assertiveness, and confidence when representing company interests
- A desire to innovate
- Efforts on behalf of the company’s strategic plan and achieving company’s goals
Education and Experience:
Minimum of two years of related project management experience with an electrical contractor, or equivalent solar industry experience.
Must be able to alternate between sitting and standing in a general office environment. Some travel to other offices or job sites will be required. Ability to navigate construction job sites with or without accommodation.
This is a full time in person position.
Westphal & Company is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.